Pages

Tuesday 15 January 2013

#36 Five days to Stockholm


I haven't mentioned Sweden in this blog for a long time. I've been too busy in Japan to think much about it, so since I've been home I have been plotting and planning a lot more, and now in only 5 days time I will be stranded in Stockholm for the next 5 months.

I'm going to be studying at a University there, but it looks likely that I will have very few hours so I should have much more free time than I did while working in Tokyo. The disappointing thing is, Stockholm doesn't seem to have the same huge range of entertainments that Tokyo could readily offer. Since I'm not working I'll also be on a stricter budget too, which doesn't help! This time I am going with three classmates and will be living with and surrounded by people my age, so I will have more company than in Japan. Overall, I'm interested to see what fun things we can find to do!

I booked a one-way ticket all the way back in mid-October, and will be flying with Aer Lingus. We [my classmates and I] won't arrive in Stockholm Arlanda airport until 7pm, so we'll be spending the first night in a hostel. On Monday 21st we will move into our college accommodation, but more importantly we will be taking a trip to the biggest Ikea in the world (!!!!) to stock up on a few things. I'll be sure to take pictures!


So far I've been looking at this website for Stockholm information, it's the official tourism page and therefore likely a little prejudiced but it has some good information http://www.visitstockholm.com/en/

Getting a little ahead of myself, but the Swedish weather website is here: http://www.smhi.se/en/Weather and the transport finder (trains, planes etc) is here http://reseplanerare.resrobot.se/bin/query.exe/en?L=vs_resrobot&

Photograph of Gamla Stan, the 'old town' of Stockholm

No comments:

Post a Comment