Pages

Tuesday 15 January 2013

#33 Kamakura


Known by many as the only remainder of "old Japan" and also as "mini Kyoto", Kamakura is typical old fashioned lots-of-shrines-and-hills-and-windy-streets Japan. Located about an hour by train from Tokyo, it is again another popular side trip to get away from the ultra modern, Americanized Tokyo. Honestly, I though it was a little boring after awhile, but the girl I went with thought it was the best place ever. Everyone recommends it as the place to go if you're in Tokyo, and I'd heard nothing but good reviews. So I'm going to show you a few reasons why it's immensely popular.

This is Kamakura's best known shrine

Tsurugaoka Hachimangu is the most important shrine in Kamakura. The shrine is approached by a big boulevard type street lined with restaurants and souvenir shops, with the highlight being the big red "torii" gates (as seen in the first picture). The shrine is very nice and spacious, set at the foot of some hills. It's very nature orientated, surrounded by trees and ponds etc. I believe the shrine is of religious and historical importance, but I'm afraid if you want to know the details you'll have to research yourself. The day I went there was also a Japanese style wedding going on at the lower part of the shrine, and I managed to get a good picture.

So I may have crashed a wedding in order to get this picture

The other highlight of Kamakura is the Daibutsu, or Great Buddha. It's basically a big bronze statue. The entrance costs 200 yen, and you can actually go inside at the back of the statue for a tiny 20 yen, I'm not sure what's inside though. I didn't really get what was so exciting about it, but it remains a hugely popular attraction. To get to it from the main Kamakura station you have to get another train line that takes about 10 minutes, but what's special is that it's really old and when I went half the train was still a very old fashioned tram, which is cute.

The Daibutsu, or Great Buddha. . .not so great perhaps?

I also visited Zuisenji Temple and another two that I can't remember the names of. They all had their own backstories and were pleasant to see, but I couldn't help but feel that after I'd seen one I had also seen the other four. . .But this is how I feel about most temples and shrines, after being in Japan for a week the excitement had worn off and I wasn't interested anymore. Apologies!


I didn't do quite a lot of things in Kamakura, such as Zeniraria Benten Shrine, where you wash your money in order to make it increase. There's also more shrines and temples and hiking trails and festivals and a host of other things, so I would say research it and find out for yourself, there must be a reason why it is one of the most popular destinations in Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment