Pages

Tuesday 15 January 2013

#31 Tokyo DisneySea

When I was learning Japanese at age 17 I had a test which was based on the Tokyo Disney resort website. From that moment on I had dreamed of visiting it, and after nearly 4 years I eventually had my chance!
Anyway, in Tokyo there are two Disneylands - Disneyland, and DisneySea.
To start with, DisneySea isn't a seaworld or water themed park as you might expect. It's like any other Disney park only it's simply laid out like Venice and features water all around (and it's located right on the coast too). Typically, DisneySea attracts more of an older crowd while Disneyland is more for children, although both are very popular! I only had the chance to go to DisneySea, so I can't really comment on Disneyland (but we can assume it is also a magical place).

It's pretty

Titanic? This is actually a really fancy restaurant, not a ride :(

Tower of Terror in the background

This is basically the reason it's called DisneySea

The main rides at DisneySea are Tower of Terror, Indiana Jones, Raging Spirits, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Toy Story Mania and Stormrider. It was really busy when we went so I only got to go on the first four rides from the ones above. I think Raging Spirits and Indiana Jones were the most fun, but my friend loved Tower of Terror.

When I went it was just before Christmas so that was also an added bonus with the decorations! The one thing that was strange was the range of goods on sale - they were really aimed for the Japanese market. There was a whole store full of boxes of sweets, a really common souvenir for Japanese tourists. There were also lots of phone charms, but only a few mugs, key chains and fridge magnets. The goods also didn't really advertise Tokyo DisneySea which I found really annoying, I'd have liked a fridge magnet or mug that prominently displayed where I'd been! 

I've been to Disneyland Paris and my friend had been to DisneyWorld in California, and we both agreed DisneySea was basically the same except it's in Japan, so if you've been to either then you get the idea. I had a great time, although if you're only in Japan for a short time then you should probably focus on doing things that are specific to Japan! Also be sure to check out Fuji-Q Highland, it's a Japanese amusement park about 2 hours away from Tokyo and it looks really fun (unfortunately I didn't have time to visit, but next time!).

Tickets for both DisneyLand and DisneySea cost 6,200 yen for one day for adults (or 10,700 yen for two days), and both parks are located near Narita Airport, about 20mins outside Tokyo by train.
This link will take you to the list of different attractions in DisneySea http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/en/tds/atrc/index.html
And this one will show you the rides at Disneyland http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/en/tdl/atrc/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment