Pages

Monday 14 January 2013

#27 Tokyo Tower

I mentioned Tokyo Tower in another post, but I hadn't gone up at that point. I eventually did it on a Sunday afternoon in late November 2012.

Check it out!


To begin with it's cheap - only 800yen to get to the first floor, and 600yen to get to the top, the "Special Observatory". I'm not sure I would recommend a visit to the top, although it's not very expensive, I had to wait for an hour to get to the top, and the room is TINY. You could easily walk around it in one minute, and honestly if there's a long waiting time it might not be worth it.

Lovely view of Tokyo bay and the Rainbow Bridge


I would definitely recommend a visit, it offers great views of Tokyo and when I visited on a Sunday I only queued for about an hour to get to the first floor. At the first floor I bought a ticket for the top floor, and I was told I'd have to come back in an hours time. I was free to roam around but the hour did feel quite long, and the tiny room at the top wasn't as exciting as I thought!

To compare Tokyo Tower with Skytree: Tokyo Tower is alot cheaper than Skytree, and although it's only about half the height, you can see plenty up there that makes it comparable to Skytree. It's also more likely to be less crowded. You could also go to the Goverment Buildings in Shinjuku, which is free. My favourite was Skytree, followed by Tokyo Tower, and then the Government Buildings. But if you can you should visit all three - even if you don't go up.


A note for those who have been to the Eiffel Tower in France: Tokyo Tower is very slightly taller in height, but it seems to be a lot narrower in width. Also there are only two floors instead of three, and the two are much smaller than the French counterparts. Also, Tokyo Tower is totally indoors, while the Eiffel Tower is primarily outdoors. To conclude the Eiffel Tower is probably better, but if you're in Tokyo you should visit the Asian version nonetheless!


No comments:

Post a Comment