Pages

Friday 1 April 2016

#119 Skyscanner Hack - Change Country for Cheaper Flight!

[This is NOT an April fool!] Recently I was trying to organize booking a flight with my sister for our mother from Dublin to Tokyo. I’m more technology savvy so I decided to search for the flights, and then send her the details for her to book. Due to time difference this went on for a few days, with her saying each time the flights were more expensive than what I had said. Finally we went on Skype, using the same website (Skyscanner) at the same time, but somehow mine said it was 500euro, and hers said 600euro. Then I realized – my country was set to Japan, and hers was set to Ireland.

A rumor I had heard before was true – it actually is cheaper depending on the country you book from (or the country you say you book from....) 

I always use Skyscanner – sometimes I check other sites but it always ends up being cheaper or having more options with Skyscanner. If anyone has some other recommended sites, please comment and let me know!

I decided to do this again, with a flight from Japan to Thailand. I changed my country from Japan, Thailand and Ireland. Japans flights were 32,000yen, Thailand was 39,000yen, and Ireland was 40,000yen (about the difference of 60 euro off a 300 euro flight) There were also different flights available depending on the country.

While it may only be the difference of a few euro, from now on I will always toggle between the departing country and destination country at least, to see if I can make some savings. It only takes a minute and could save you substantial amounts!


Below are the screenshots I took, all within minutes of each other. The only difference is the country selected and flights - language and currency settings don't seem to make a difference.


Flights with Japan as country


Flights with Thailand as country

Flights with Ireland as country

No comments:

Post a Comment