Pages

Friday 25 March 2016

#118 Travel Tips; Use Public Transport

So on my recent trip to Manila, Philippines I found myself stressed out and worried. Why? Because of transport. I had read that public transport in Manila is basically a no-go, and that it is better for tourists to use taxis (which are very cheap) and factor in lots of time going places due the crazy traffic.

So I was aware and prepared for this. However, after just one day I had established that despite the taxi’s being cheap, I was either being ripped off by them not using the meter, or I was being taken wherever the driver wanted when the meter was being used. Also in the evening it was difficult to get a taxi, and I had to stand alone on the side of the street and pray I wouldn’t be attacked while I waited, and also pray that whenever a taxi showed up that the taxi driver wouldn’t rip me off too much. 

As a lone traveler, the overpriced taxi fares started to add up to not actually that cheap anymore. Since they all speak English, I also hated making small talk with them. By the time my last day came around, I was too worried about arguing fares, having to wait for a taxi home, and making more dreaded small talk that I just stayed in the hostel all day.


But now I have learned something. I have learned that while travelling alone, I would actually prefer to use public transport, where the prices are fixed and I don’t have to argue about fares or deal with people or worry about where I might end up. If I get lost I can look at a map and try figure it out, or I can ask someone at the station. My safety could still be at risk, especially regarding pickpocketing etc, but I would be vigilant. It requires more planning on my part, but I am in control of the situation.


This is one of the factors why I will not be going to Siem Reap in Cambodia – I don’t think I could handle being ripped off or arguing with a driver all day, or constantly worrying about my safety. Some people can handle it, but not me. It’s neither relaxing not enjoyable and given the choice, I would rather not do it again. In a group this would be different, but alone I just can’t handle the stress. So from now on I will check the availability of public transport in an area before travelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment