Pages

Saturday 16 April 2016

#122 Getting a Chinese Visa in Japan 2016

Japanese nationals don’t need a visa to visit China, so for foreigners in Japan it can be a mess to find out information. But, you will be relieved to know it is a quick and easy process.

In my experience, the lack of information combined with added cost and effort leads to many people visiting only Hong Kong – and while I’m sure it’s a great city, if you want to see the famous Panda Reserve or the Great Wall, then you will need to get a visa for mainland China.

So, here’s the necessary information;

You CAN apply by post, via a travel agency. It seems there was a time that the only way you could apply was going in person to the embassy in Tokyo – a very expensive and inconvenient option for most people, but this is definitely no longer the case.

All you need to apply is a passport, photo, copy of flight and hotel booking.

There are a few travel agencies who deal with visas, and you apply by printing out a form from their website and putting that, your passport, bookings, photo and money in an envelope via registered post. It generally takes less than one week for the passport to be returned to you.

Generally Japanese travel agencies (even big ones like JTB) will not help with a visa unless you buy your flights with them, but there seems to be enough agencies online that it shouldn’t be a problem (the problem is finding the right one for your area!).

If you Google it, the first website you will usually find is RTO, and you will also find a lot of people recommending them. The problem is they only work for those who live in the Southern part of Japan, as they apply through the Nagoya Consulate. Even though I live close to Nagoya, I still had to apply through Tokyo, so this agency isn’t an option for everyone.

I searched more forums and eventually found a company called Weston (wst.co.jp). They have processed visas for me and some of my friends so I can verify they are legitimate, and it should work for people living in the Tokai/Kanto (basically central Japan) area. Just remember to put in a self-addressed return envelope when you send it or you will have to pay another private courier on receipt of your visa.

The cost varies for different countries, for American’s you can get a 10 year visa multiple visit visa for 20,000yen, while I’m Irish and it cost 7,500 for just a one-time entry (Weston said on the website they don’t do multiple entries).


Overall, once you know what company to use it actually is a quick and simple process. While it is an extra cost and a little more effort than just going Hong Kong, the amazing photos of your trip to the Great Wall or backpacking around the many villages will make it more than worth it.


(Also note: I decided to change my hostel booking maybe 2 weeks before the trip. I totally forgot about the visa issue until on the plane when I had to state where I was staying on a form. I panicked and just wrote down the address I used on the visa form, the old hostel I wasn't staying in. I was a little worried there would be issues when I left or whatever, but there were no problems. 
I also met some Germans who intentionally did the same thing - they booked a hotel room for a refundable deposit, filled out the visa form and copy of the booking, then cancelled the hotel booking and stayed elsewhere. While I don't advise you to mess around with the Chinese Government, it's just to let you know it seems to be possible to change plans.....)

No comments:

Post a Comment