Pages

Thursday 24 April 2014

#85 Summertime Sadness

There is arguably nothing worse than when all your family, friends, neighbours, co-workers and casual acquaintances all go on holiday and you're left sitting at home. Summer is peak season for that, and while I have been dreaming about going somewhere - the reality now appears to be that I will not be going anywhere for the months of May, June, July or August.

Sarcasm. It's great!

I do have plans to visit a friend in London in Autumn, and I can be happy in the knowledge that it won't be too hot, there will be less crowds and prices will generally be cheaper. However, holding out over the summer will be tough, very tough, and I fear I am already starting to feel that mixture of jealousy and hopelessness creeping under my skin as I hear friends talking about booking their own trips.

Last summer the weather in Ireland was unusually good, and those who were left at home laughed with glee at those who had wasted money on a sun holiday to Spain where it rained for a week. The problem for me is that even if that happens again this year, I hate hot weather and I would never book a sun holiday to anywhere.

The main issues that have resulted in my lack of holiday plans are; (a) I have no one to go with: Everyone appears to have already made plans with someone else, to go somewhere else, to do something else - and I am not invited to the party (b) Insufficient funds: While I do have savings I could dip in to, I am dictated by prices as to where I can go and for how long (c) Lack of options: I am recently craving a trip to Eastern Europe - The Western Europeans dream! Prices are insanely cheap and the countries have a lot to offer. Getting there is a problem, and from Ireland it is either very difficult or very expensive - defeating the purpose of the insanely cheap prices when you get there. Eugh.

So, is anyone else starting to feel this summertime sadness, or is it just me? I plan to spend the summer saving up money and planning a holiday to end all holidays in the Autumn, but in reality I will likely spend more time creeping on Facebook and begrudging everyone else's good time, whilst simultaneously questioning how much money they spent on it and how exactly they are able to afford it.


Sad owl understands my pain

No comments:

Post a Comment