Pages

Sunday 21 October 2012

#19 Don't go here

Imperial Palace Gardens



This is the one place I've been to in Tokyo that was a total let down! The Palace is behind big walls and gates and surrounded by a moat so you can't actually seen anything.

I'd read about some bridge, when I got there I walked past it twice until I realised that was it. . . .it was nice but I wouldn't have deemed it worthy of particular attention!

Nijubashi bridge: just like any other bridge

I then went to the East Gardens, which also left something to be desired. The highlight was this, a big foundation of where a tower used to be. The rest of the garden consisted of gravel walkways with trees and bushes around, not so exciting!
It was pretty big, to be fair

If you walk towards the Palace from Toyko station, you will come across a lovely little park with stone seats and fountains. At the time I was there, there was actually a wedding going on in the little buidling there. The fountains change every few minutes and it was nice to sit there and watch them, but again I'd only recommend if you were passing through. 


Nothing spectacular, but nice all the same

And finally, the only other thing of importance I could find in the area was Tokyo station, and the famous Tokyo Station Hotel, which is being advertised everywhere since it has just been refurbished and reopened.

It's a nice building alright.

So to conclude, although free, a visit to the Japanese Imperial Palace should not be high on your to-do list on a visit to Tokyo.




No comments:

Post a Comment