Pages

Sunday 21 October 2012

#18 Shinjuku

Shinjuku
Japan's a big place like. . . .

This is a view from the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Buildings in Shinjuku. On the 45th floor there is a free observatory, open until 11pm. I went there twice, once by myself during the day, and again with my friends in the evening, and on both occasions the views are spectacular! The pictures really don't do it justice.

That's Skytree in the middle background

At night it's fantastic to see the lights


Also in Shinjuku is the red light district, or Kabukicho as it more commonly known. While the area has two big main streets filled with lots of cafes, restaurants and karaoke bars, once you go down the side streets it gets a little seedy.
Apparently it is one of the few places in Tokyo where if you are a man you can get mugged, and if you are a woman led into some dangerous situations. . . .I went there at around 5pm Saturday just as it was getting dark, and sure enough I was approached by an English speaking man who wanted to bring me to a Japanese school, coincidentally down some back street. . . I kept walking and told him next time, I had to meet a friend. He followed for a minute or so and then stopped. So my advice would be to travel in a group and keep your eyes peeled, if you do that you'll have a great time checking out some of the more interesting establishments.

It all looks nice and innocent here

Again at night, the signs and lights are amazing

This was my favourite 

Also Shinjuku has lots of shops, so it makes a good day out even if you intend to see no naked women! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment