Pages

Friday 12 April 2013

#54 Moderna Museet & Arkitektur Museet

Today I visited 'Free Friday' at two of Stockholm's museums, the Modern Art and Architecture museums, both located in the same building on Skeppsholmen. They were good to fill in a few hours, but otherwise unless you have a special interest in modern art I wouldn't recommend a visit.

The Architecture museum is usually 60kr, and it is really small, so I would strongly advise against visiting here unless it's free. There is one temporary exhibition and another two small rooms of permanent exhibitions with  scale models of some of Swedens well known buildings and areas. It took me under an hour to see the whole place.

 Temporary risk exhibit
 Fake home
 Drawings by children
 A video on risk in the home!
Model of katarina hissen

The Modern Art Museum is usually 120kr, and on Fridays is only free for some parts of it (I think the temporary exhibitions). I have no interest in modern art, so the artists I saw on display were boring for me. There were some audio and video exhibits which were more interesting for me though. The artists and work you see will probably depend on when you go, but unless you love art it's probably not worth your time.

 How this is art I have no idea
 This is cool
 Modern poetry?
Not sure what this was

Arkitektur is free on Fridays from 4pm until 6pm, and Moderna is free from 6pm until 8pm, so you can do both.
You can get to the museums by taking bus 65 from central station to the Stockholm Arkitekt/Moderna stop. It is also possible to walk from the t-bana at Kungstradgarden (10 minutes) or to get the Djurgarden ferry from either Slussen or Grona Lund.
Also interesting to know, connecting the island to the mainland is the Skeppsholmen bridge, which has the famous crown you often see on postcards etc of Stockholm.

No comments:

Post a Comment