Pages

Sunday 3 February 2013

#38 The snow is melting (a little...)

Temperatures soared to a scorching 5 degrees Celsius this week (aha) so some of the snow has melted. The trees are bare now, and where there was once just piles of snow I have discovered what looks like tables and chairs outside my house. It's slippy as f*ck (pardon my language) though, and while the city of Stockholm has mostly dried up, all the little paths through the snow are now super dangerous, and I find my feet sliding out from under me quite often. Haven't fallen yet though! Anyway, updates on what I've been doing:

dertalje
This place is south of Stockholm (less than an hour on the train I guess) and a friend and I decided to go. We got off the train at Södertalje Centrum and honestly, there's very little there. There's a river and nice park around it, and then a shopping street with H&M and the usual suspects. It's home to an interactive museum place called "Tom Tits Experiment" but I didn't hazard a visit. It was a nice place, but nothing special.



Fotografiska - Swedish Photo Museum




I heard this place was great to go to, and I was a little surprised when I went inside. From Novemeber 2012 until March 2013, the whole place is dedicated to the work of David La Chapelle. I'd never heard of him, but the second I saw his pictures I knew I loved him! His photographs are outrageous, from recreating the Pieta using Courtney Love as the Virgin Mary, to the wildest pictures of celebrities you'll ever see. The exhibit was bright, colourful and in your face. I was expecting there to be permanent exhibits, but this was not the case, so I advise you to check out what exhibit is on before you go. I guess I just got lucky!



Swedish National Museum

I don't have an interest in art, so a visit here wasn't high on my agenda. However, it closed its doors today for the next four years (!) for refurbishments. This weekend had free entrance, which was also enticing. So, it wasn't great. Unless you have an interest in art, it really wasn't worth your time. There is an exhibit with Swedish design and stuff from the past hundred years which was cool, but other than that I wasn't so impressed.
RIP National Museum


And finally, some pictures of Stockholm

View of Gamla Stan from Katarinahissen


Stockholm's main shopping street, Drottninggatan

In front of the Kulturhus at Sergels Torg
Vasa Museum

Grona Lund Theme Park (closed for winter)

No comments:

Post a Comment